The Absorber Plate Coating is made Aluminum Wiring with a mixture of tar and lamp black and mineral spirits. The tar seeps between the copper and the grooves to bind the flow tube to the absorber plate. The absorbance of the tar/carbon black mix is only slightly less than expensive selective coatings. Sunlight is used to dry out the tar before the glazing is installed.

A Pair of 4'x8' Serpentine Collectors work in harmony when they are connected in parallel. The 3/8" flow tube used in the collector is inexpensive and easy to bend, but if two collectors were connected in series the flow restriction would be excessive. To remedy this problem and also facilitate the plumbing connections the serpentine collectors are connected in parallel.

A Home Made Heat Storage Tank can be made from a used hot water tank and a copper heat exchange tube. Instead of installing the heat exchange tube inside the storage tank it may be wrapped around the exterior of an old tank and bonded with wire and aluminum foil and insulation. An alternative to exchanging heat with copper would involve the use of PEX, but you'll need more PEX than copper to get the same heat exchange rate and the PEX may be harder to work with.

Do-it-yourself, home made solar hot water systems are practical and cost effective. The average American household consumes between 1000 and 2000 gallons of fuel oil per year. Efficient use of the sun's energy could easily cut this consumption in half or eliminate it entirely. If you have carpentry skills you'll have no trouble assembling a serpentine collector. The one long continuous serpentine tube is bent on a homemade jig so there are very few solder connections. Union Ts are used to join collectors so that soldering on top of a roof is also unnecessary.

At a garage sale one Saturday morning I noticed the seller was using an old aluminum Jon boat as a bench to display some of the stuff he was selling. The paint was peeling and it was obvious the wood seats were long past their useful life but all in all it didn't have any visible holes or other damage. I asked the gent what he was going to do with the boat after the sale and he said he was just going to leave it behind when they moved. I offered him twenty-five dollars for it and he quickly agreed to the sale. The boat then joined some of my many other pending projects outside my shop. My grand kids who love to fish in our small lake kept asking when I was going to "fix" it so on the saw horses it went for a rebuild. The first problem to tackle was an infestation of carpenter ants that had made a nest in the styro foam floats under one of the seats. I tried sprays, ant traps, gel baits and when they seemed to be gone I would find still more ants the next day. I finally settled on wrapping the boat with plastic and tape and setting off one of those home insect bombs.

Since the boat was outside I could leave it alone for a couple of days before unwrapping it. I unwrapped the boat a couple of days later and could not believe how many dead ants I found. I had removed dozens beforehand and now I had to use a shop vac to get them all out but it appeared I had finally won the battle. I removed the last vestiges of the wooden seats and discarded them. Using flat putty knives and wire brushes I cleaned every inch of the interior of the boat checking all the rivets as I went. Once the inside was completely clean I vacuumed and tack ragged all the surfaces and then applied a good coat of primer made just for aluminum. With some help I flipped the boat over so the bottom side could be repaired next. Again I carefully scraped and wire brushed every square inch of the bottom of the boat. The bottom side paint was in much poorer shape than the inside so I used a hand held orbital pad sander to speed along the paint removal process. I wanted to use no chemical strippers as the boat was going to be used in our lake.

Second, the felting fiber. There Copper Cable are so abounding types of cilia accessible for the purpose of aggravate felting that it in fact would crop a affiliated time to altercate them all. For a starter, the basal and a lot of frequently acclimated cilia for aggravate felting is wool. Even with absolute there is a abundant accord of variety. Anniversary casting of sheep produces absolute that has altered characteristics.